I saw someone post this recipe as the perfect meal to freeze for after baby and I was sold! We are huge fans of homemade mac and cheese and I love the thought of making it a little healthier with adding fresh veggies. Paired with grilled turkey sausages, this meal was awesome (and I even made double so I could freeze for after baby!).
1 cup chopped up fresh broccoli florets
1.5 cups chopped bell pepper (I used red, orange, and yellow)
1 cup diced baby carrots
*you can add additional veggies you have on hand (squash, zucchini, etc)
2 cups whole wheat macaroni pasta
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tbsp white flour
1.5 cups milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper *optional, leave out if you don't want an extra kick
Salt and pepper to taste
Panko breadcrumbs (I used Italian flavored)
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Place your veggies on a foil lined baking sheet, spray with olive oil, and bake for 20 minutes until tender
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package.
3. In a large pot, saute the garlic in the oil.
4. Whisk in flour and gradually whisk in milk until thickened
5. Remove from heat and stir in cheese slowly until melted and a sauce is formed.
6. Add cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
7. Stir macaroni and vegetables into cheese sauce.
8. Pour macaroni into 9x13 inch casserole dish and top with Panko breadcrumbs
9. Broil on high for 5 minutes until breadcrumbs are crispy