Panera Bread has the most delicious macaroni and cheese...you are living under a rock if you haven't had it! It's rich, creamy, and filling. If you don't have a Panera in your area or you realize you eat way too much of it and need to save your dollars, you're in for a treat! This recipe is a copycat of Panera mac and cheese and boy oh boy is it GOOD. It took less than 20 minutes to prepare and made lots...perfect for leftovers. Ford even gobbled some down, and by gobble I mean shovel by the handful.
Ingredients- makes 8-10 servings
16 oz bag small pasta (I used shells)
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup white flour
2 1/2 cups half and half
4oz white American cheese, torn into small pieces (I had to get this at the deli counter)
8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp dry mustard seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp hot sauce (I used Frank's)
1. Cook pasta according to packaging and drain
2. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large pot and add flour. Whisk and cook 1-2 minutes.
3. Pour in half and half and whisk until there are no lumps
4. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer 8 minutes until sauce thickens and bubbles
5. Remove pot from heat and slowly add cheeses, stirring to combine.
6. Stir in mustard, salt, and hot sauce
7. Add cooked pasta to cheese sauce and stir to mix completely