If you are from around the Chicago area then you are most likely familiar with Portillo' Hot Dogs. Yummmmmmmm! We make it a point to eat there every time we visit and we are never let down (we celebrated Jon's 31st birthday there!). Not only does Portillo's have delicious Chicago style beef and hot dogs, their chocolate cake is probably the most delicious cake I've ever eaten. Not. Even. Joking. I try not to let this gross me out but their secret ingredient is mayo. If you think about it, mayo is basically eggs whipped up and cakes require eggs. If you're like me and despise the taste of mayo, you are in luck! This cake is 100% moist and chocolatey and the recipe is laughably easy! I was pumped to find this copy cat recipe and it was a crowd pleaser for sure.
1 box Devil's Food cake mix
1 cup ice cold water
1 cup mayo
2 jars chocolate frosting
1. Mix cake mix, eggs, water, and mayo in a large bowl and stir to combine.
2. Using a hand mixer, beat for 4 minutes until batter is smooth
3. Split the batter into 2 9inch round cake pans
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-32 minutes, depending on your oven
5. Let cool for 5 minutes then remove from pan. Let cool another 30 minutes- 1 hour before icing
6. Ice one of the cakes with 3/4 of one jar of icing. Put other cake on top and frost with remaining frosting (1 1/4 jars).