Looking for something carby and delicious? Insert pepperoni pizza mac and cheese! I find myself wanting to make lots of pasta/Italian dishes lately (which is unlike me) and what's better than a pizza like pasta? Y'all. This meal is amazing. I can't say much more. It was incredibly easy and probably one of the best things I've made this year!
1 lb box small dry pasta (I used rigatoni)
3 tbsp olive oil
1.5 cups chopped white onion
1.5 cups chopped red bell pepper
2 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups chopped pepperoni slices (I cut mine into halves or thirds with kitchen shears)
1 cup sliced olives...optional
1 stick unsalted butter
1/2 cup white flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic salt
3 cups milk
1.5 cups pasta sauce
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1. Cook pasta according to package, drain and set aside
2. Heat oil into large pan over medium heat. Add onions and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes until softened
3. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute
4. Stir in pepperoni and olives
5. In a separate large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, salt, pepper, and garlic salt until thick.
6. Slowly whisk in milk.
7. Stir in 3 cups of cheese until a sauce is formed.
8. Stir in cooked pasta and pepperoni mixture to the cheese pot. Add splashes of milk if you need to thin out the sauce.
9. Pour half of the mac and cheese to greased 9x13 inch baking dish and top with the 1.5 cups of pasta sauce.
10. Top with remaining mac and cheese and then remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese.
11. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted