Whoever said a picture is worth a thousand words is pure genius! But what words come to mind when you look at the picture above. Men in their late 20's, early 30's dressed in burlap sacks and covered in fake blood and animal furs.
Viking Day was Ross Newberry's baby....months in the making, the first of many Viking Days to come took place on January 1st, 2010 at the Newberry Ranch in Smithville, TX. With the men divided into 2 teams, Geits vs. Roos, activities included:
- Starting off the day plunging into the frigid river on a homemade slip & slide
- Consuming massive amounts of glog, mead, beer & beef slow cooked over an open fire
- Wiffle bat jousting in the mud
- An intense game of tug of war where my Viking husband about got a hernia
- A caber toss
- The day concluded with a bonfire and human sacrifice....okay not a real human but a handmade stuffed woman
Yep that is Jon under the creepy red "Pebbles" wig and REAL animal horn headband. He was sweet enough to make me my own little viking costume (but I decided to forgo the activities and sit on the sidelines cheering on Team Roos!)
Scottie "Jesus Man" Daughtry and Ross battling for glory in an intense jousting match
He lost the wig but that man can throw a caber!
The Vikings will meet again come April 16th, 2011 so be prepared for blood, sweat, tears and hysterical videos. Here is a preview of what is to come....