You heard that right! Maple bacon cupcakes. I came across this recipe weeks ago and knew I had to make it for my bacon lovin' daddy on Father's Day. The cupcakes were interesting and I thought very delicious. The only thing I wish I would have done different is use pork bacon rather than turkey bacon (I am no bacon connoisseur so I had no idea the texture was different). The cupcakes tasted like sweet cornbread and the icing was out of this world. The recipe was VERY involved so I didn't take many pictures of their creation.
Maple Bacon Cupcakes
4 1/2 tbsp butte
1/2 tbsp bacon drippings (left in the refrigerator to solidify)
5 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp maple syrup
1 1/4 cup self-rising flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
Small pinch of salt
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup of cooked and crumbled bacon
4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 cup powdered sugar
|NOTE: I recommend using pork bacon|
1. Cream the butter and bacon drippings together
2. Add brown sugar and maple syrup and mix until creamy
3. Add egg and stir to combine
4. Stir in flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
5. Add milk and stir to combine
6. Pour in 1/2 of the crumbled bacon and stir until fully mixed
7. Spoon the batter evenly into 12 baking cups
8. Bake at 350 degrees for approx. 15 minutes
9. Let cool
1. Mix together the butter, maple syrup, powdered sugar and salt until the frosting is formed
2. Place in fridge to help the frosting solidify
3. Frost the cupcakes and top with the remaining bacon crumbles
I picked up this cake decorating set for $10 at Bed Bath and Beyond to test out. There were much
Here are the finished products...
Ernie's olfactory senses were going crazy and this little guy wouldn't leave my side. I think he was hoping for some bacon drippings to land on the floor. Once again, he is a total ham. Anytime I bust out the camera, he sits and poses perfectly. I can only hope my human kiddos are the same way!
So if you follow any crafting/mommy blogs, you know that printables are the new thing. I scored some adorable (and FREE) father's day printables, glued them onto popsicle sticks and stuck them into the cupcakes.