I actually did a video before we moved in, wood paneling and all, that you can view here.
The video below was taken Thursday, June 9th, 2011.
Here is also a short video of the backyard
So a little background on our living "sitch". We lived in a 500 square foot cabin (literally) and after a month of marriage and getting a puppy...we knew it was time to move. We are currently renting our Central Austin home for the next couple of months. We have finally nailed down a neighborhood we want to buy in when our lease is up next May.
Our house is so cute. So cozy. So unique. But let me tell ya...the closet space is a nightmare. I think people in the 50's owned no more than a pair of shoes and a couple shirts. Here are the roses (positives) and thorns (negatives) of our house.
- We love the location. We are 5 minutes from downtown yet far enough away from the college scene/hipsters/traffic/etc. Plus I work in Northwest Austin and surpass all the nasty traffic
- The size of our backyard
- The kitchen, it is open and has lots of storage
- The wood floors. I am not sure if they are original but they are beautiful!!
- The floor plan. It totally works for our small family. The house is about 1,100 square feet and just the right amount of space for us.
- The trees. Because our houses is so shaded by mature trees, our bills are practically pennies!
- Because our yard is made up of this weird, thin, clover-y type grass, we have only had to cut it once since we moved in March (well that and the drought has not done any good for the grass in Texas)
- THE CLOSETS! I have never seen anything smaller. Luckily we have huge dressers that house most of my clothes but I hate not being able to hang things up, color code, display my shoes, etc. I also wish we had a random hall closet.
- The trees. Yes I know it was one of my roses but it is also a thorn. We came home from a weekend getaway to a branch the size of my car in the driveway. Thank goodness we were gone or else my pretty little SUV would have been a gone-r. The trees constantly drop branches (small and large) which makes for a messy driveway/walkway
- Lack of ice maker. We didn't have an ice maker in our old house (or a dishwasher, garbage disposal or microwave) so it is fine but making ice gets old...when you are lazy like me
- No garage, hence why all Jon's "man stuff" (tools, guns, golf clubs) are in our spare bedroom. Jon is a total car guy and had to sell a classic car he was working on. He is itching to have a garage in our next house so he can pick his hobby back up. Oh and then my car would be safe from freak branch accidents!
- 1 bathroom...I don't mind sharing with my hubs but it is a little weird when we have guests. I am sure you can imagine.
I think I've said before that we are both obsessed with House Hunters (and really anything on HGTV). We plan on applying to be on House Hunters next spring!! We already have lots of ideas for our submission videos (most of them having to do with the cramped closets and bathroom).
Be sure to check out other videos I've posted..