When we bought our house we were excited that it was “turn key” meaning we could move right on in without any major projects. For the most part it has been turn key but then again we are finding project after project that we want to tackle. It is a little exhausting thinking of all the things we need (want really) to do but it is also fun! I thought it would be cool to keep a list on my blog of what we want to do in our home then share our progress, it will also keep me accountable. We have already done sooo much in the house (I mean you would too if your house was gonna be broadcasted on TV) but the list grows everyday. I wish I could take a couple weeks off work just to do home stuff :-). We will hopefully just tackle projects when we have the time.
So here is our list
- Flower beds in front yard- there are just bricks separating the beds and I would love to do limestone to match the house
- Replace the straight up dead bushes in the front (exhibit above)
- Extend our deck- we have a small wood deck that steps down to an OK sized patio but we like the idea of extending the deck so we can enjoy the rolling hills view
- Buy a grill
- Plant tall, thick, fast growing plants along the back of the backyard- our biggest complaint about the house is the fact you can see into our neighbors backyard so we are thinking some red tipped photinias
- Repair the fence in certain places- it seems the previous owner had a hungry, wood eating dog
- Remove the invisible fence wire- previous owner put it ON the fence rather than burying it into the ground which defeats the purpose of it being “invisible”
- Get a shed for the side of the house for yard tools, etc.
- Plant an herb garden
- Buy/make something for the mantle. I have a few ideas from Pinterest but I want to keep searching for the perfect piece (the color is a blue/green/gray but looks so dull here!)
- Get rid of all gold door handles- I really want to try this tutorial from YoungHouseLove and spray paint our handles oil rubbed bronze
- Paint back hall
- Buy a cool chair/loveseat for the family room
- Paint powder room
- New mirror for the powder room (it is one of those geometrical shaped ones and we want a cool framed one or something)
- Jon hates the pedestal sink but I think it's fine in a half bath
- Buy a desk/furniture for my craft/blogging room. I have a vision of what I want in my head but haven't found it yet. I imagine a white desk with Queen Anne legs..
- Redo fireplace?? Jon loves brick fireplaces and ours is just tile. I think the tile will be a lot safer for children but we'll see
- Buy a media center thingy (haha) for under our mounted TV
- Paint laundry room...just for fun!
- Repair bottom of laundry room door- again, wood eating dog
- Replace weather stripping on all 3 exterior doors
- Purchase/make some sort of storage for laundry room
- Put up storage shelves in the garage
- Create a workspace for Jon in garage
- I just finished painting last night but we want to do the ceiling
- Put up crown molding
- Buy a desk and bookshelves
- Replace missing drawer- the seller dropped off an unstained one and we ordered a stained one that didn’t match, urgh
- Paint kitchen- luckily not much surface area, it’s really only the breakfast nook. And I picked out a color this weekend. Who wants to come help paint?!
- Put hardware on the cabinets- I think it will dress up our kitchen a bit, I think they are really classy
- Get a round table for the breakfast nook
- Headboard- we want to make one of those tufted ones or a wooden one. I hate how my camera captured the wall color...it is so bright but looks 100% dull here.
- Paint master bathroom
- Hardware in master bathroom
- Fill holes in master closet- Jon replaced one of those long industrial lights with spot lighting so we need to fill in those holes (awesome photo huh?)
- Paint guestroom- I kind of want to do big horizontal stripes
- Redo $20 Ikea dresser Jon bought on Craigslist a couple years ago
- Repaint the white little shelf next to the bed (it was my great grandparents)
- Paint guest bathroom (shower curtain matches our bedding in the master)
- Finish media room
- Paint gameroom?? I kind of like the beige-y color that is up there already, we will see. It will be a lot of work!
- Tile the jack and jill bathroom
- Install fans in all bedrooms/gameroom
That's all for now but it seems like everyday, there are 5 new projects I want to do. It's crazy because when I finish one project I feel so accomplished but then there is a list a mile long. I am throwing a shower and bachelorette party at our house in August and my goal is to have lots of the projects done by then! The biggest one is obviously the media room which Jon hopes to finish by the end of the year. The seller had someone come out to quote the project and it was an insane $10k. The guy quoted $1,100 for paint alone! I will paint it for free!!!!!! Jon is excited to get his hands dirty and work on it himself (with some help) and save us lots of money.
Thank you for all your sweet comments about our home, we couldn't be more thrilled to have opened this chapter of our lives. We are officially boring old people spending our Saturday night at Home Depot (and actually having a blast!).