Yep we are that crazy couple who decorated our house for Christmas in the middle of the sweltering summer! A couple of weeks ago Jon came across a Christmas playlist on his phone (that man is obsessed with Christmas music, well Christmas anything) and said he was sad Christmas was so far away. Us poor Texans (and many across the South and even North East!) have been experiencing weeks and weeks of boiling hot temperatures making this summer totally blah. The lakes are dried up, the pool is too warm to be refreshing and we can't even take Ernie on a walk at 9pm because it is still 100 degrees! Thus, August-mas was born.
We decided that we would have our own mini Christmas celebration this past Saturday to temporarily take us out of this heat. Here is how August-mas went down:
- We attempted to set our thermostat in the 60's but its too damn hot and the unit couldn't keep up. We normally keep our house at 72 and it stayed like that all day :-(
- I wore a green dress, red scarf and white headband to be festive. Jon wore a green Baylor shirt and red winter-y beanie (which he took off after pictures)
- We decorated our mini Cleveland Browns tree. Our old house was too small for a full standing tree so this cutie did the job. Maybe since we decorated it the week before NFL opening games, the Browns will kick some ass! One can only hope...
- We have lots of cutesy Christmas decor but instead of spending an hour setting it all up, I put out some of my favorites
- Our old house had beautiful wood beams in the living room and kitchen and Christmas lights looked so cool in there. We strung some colored lights on a curtain rod and hung our stockings (with care...). The stocking in the middle is an old random one I had and since this is Ernie's first Christmas with us, I will get him one to match ours (I can't bear buying Christmas items while its 108 outside, even though Hobby Lobby is fully decorated for December)
- Yes Ernie is wearing reindeer ears. He actually has 2 Christmas outfits but it was too hot for those (I will probably be one of those nutty mom's who dresses their child for every holiday)
- We even decorated Mr. Ernie's cage with a "Naughty" sign and a mini tree (the snowmen say 'Jon' and 'Ruth'...now we need an 'Ernie' one!)
- We exchanged small gifts which was fun! I got Jon lime tortilla chips, coconut m&ms and an inappropriate Cleveland Browns shirt from HotTopic :-). Don't judge. It's funny. Oh and it is arriving tomorrow!
- I've posted about the awesome shirts my hubby has made for me and if you haven't read the post, find it here. Jon made me two super cute shirts for August-mas. Check em out
How cute is he?!
It was a Browns August-mas
- Jon also brought home a yummy cinnamon sugar candle (closest thing to Christmas at Target right now) and a kitty cat birthday card that he added some red and green Christmas-y stuff to :-)
We spent the afternoon watching The Grinch and Charlie Brown's Christmas. We had 7 movies to watch but got a little burned out after a couple hours. We ate our leftovers from the low carb dinner we had the night before (muhahaha) and watched Just Go With It <---- cheesy but kinda cute!
Count down to the real Christmas: